V-day trends from Roni Riechert, Greetings Professional at Smilebox the photo-sharing and social expression website offering design templates that include greetings, slideshows, scrapbooks, postcards, invitations, photo albums, print/mail, and more. Smilebox is gearing up for Valentine’s Day 2020. Feel free to use our trends to help your readers plan their special V-day:
- In February, cuffing is still in process – cuffing is when people couple up before the holidays – and it generally lasts through March, which is when couples decide whether the relationship is a keeper or not. First Valentine’s Day gifts tend to be a bit more awkward, but a card is always a good choice.
- Ironically, Break-ups get prominent attention on V-day. Did you hear about the zoo that named cockroaches after ex-significant others and fed them to the meerkats on V-day? This year you can find special cards to help friends nurse a relationship hangover, inform invitees about a wedding postponement or cancellation, or initiate a breakup with someone you want to CANCEL.
- Photos are the number one Valentine’s Day gift, according to research, gifted more frequently than chocolate, flowers, or lingerie.
- Pet V-Day cards are becoming a thing – Valentine’s Day cards that feature your “other” best friend for the ultimate blended relationship.
- All the Single Ladies turn Valentine’s Day into a gal-pal holiday. Don’t be surprised if you are invited to a Galentine’s Day Party this year. And – in case anyone (male OR female) feels left out due to their single status, February 15 has been named “Singles Awareness Day,” a holiday specifically for the unattached.
- Men tend to make more Social Media mentions of V-day than women. While men age 18-25 were more focused on what they were buying or planning for the day, women and older men (55+) tended to talk emotions.
- Self Love – In 2019 more than one-third of those under 35 said they were not celebrating V-day but instead, will splurge on themselves or spend time with single friends. Overall spending for V-day is drastically down from 10 years prior but those who do celebrate V-day are expected to spend more (lose the chocolates, buy a Ferrari!).
- Experiential Valentine’s Day gifts were more popular (spa day, concert tickets) in the 18-34 age range, giving loving partners the opportunity to create a special memory together.
Roni Riechert, Greetings Professional at Smilebox is available to discuss these and other Greeting Card trends. Contact us to set up an interview.
About Smilebox: Smilebox enables people to tell the stories of their (and their loved ones) lives with easy-to-customize slideshows, cards, invitations, memorials, flyers and more. Founded in 2005, the company now has over 20 million subscribers and more than 1 million photos uploaded every month. Within its Basic, Premium and Pro subscriptions, Smilebox offers digital distribution as well as print options, and a new iOS app for designing Instagram Stories and more on the go. Smilebox is a division of Perion Network Ltd. (NASDAQ: PERI).